Wednesday, May 9, 2012

 

**SPOILER FREE BOOK AND MOVIE REVIEW**

 

The Help




“You is kind. You is smart. You is important.” 
Kathryn Stockett, The Help





When I first started reading The Help, it took about ten pages or so to get used to the writing style.  It is narrated by the characters and written in their own unique dialect, so its different.  That's not to say I did not like that about the book because it added to the whole feel of it.

This is one of those books that are hard to put down.  It is certainly an easy and fast read.  The Help is not only eye opening, but also inspirational, moving and very powerful!  It personally opened my eyes to things I never knew about and shed light on issues that never crossed my mind.

It was truly interesting to see the strength in these women and in their communities.  The way our differences are muted during childhood, when we are ill, or in emotional distress.  It highlights the need to be accepted and how much some will stretch their morals in order to "fit in", or blindly follow.

In my humble opinion, I feel books like this are crucial in understanding American history and the emotional distress, and struggles the African American community went through during the sixties.



The Movie


“Ever morning, until you dead in the ground, you gone have to make this decision. You gone have to ask yourself, "Am I gone believe what them fools say about me today?”  
Kathryn Stockett, The Help
 

I love reading a book and picturing it in my mind, then seeing it play on the screen! I was so excited to watch the Help after reading the book and it did NOT disappoint.  Some parts were left out but the overall message and highlighters were all there.

The movie is so powerful and I got sucked right it.  The time period was mastered, the characters were played so well.  I laughed, I cried, I was even sad when it ended! Its a movie I would purchase and add to my collection so I can watch it again and again.

It really brought the book to life and delivered its message in such a powerful and touching way.  I loved it!!!



**I highly recommend both the book and the movie (in that order)**

No comments:

Post a Comment